Saturday 3 December 2011

Think Tank - The Real Deal

A REVIEW OF THE Think Tank Training Centre - 3D Modeling & Animation PROGRAM.
BY NATHAN S. WHO GRADUATED IN 2008

I initially came across Think Tank Training Centre as I was searching for post-grad training in 3D animation. I had been accepted to Gnomon School of Visual Effects in Hollywood, CA but I was looking for some alternatives because of the price and location of that school.

Obviously because the school was so new at the time it was a bit of a gamble, but it was a gamble that paid off immensely.

After reviewing some of the instructor and student work (though there wasn’t much student work at the time as I was part of only the 2nd or 3rd term of students to ever go through the program) and talking with the staff, I felt like Think Tank was the place for me. Obviously because the school was so new at the time it was a bit of a gamble, but it was a gamble that paid off immensely.

Though I had some prior 3D self-instruction as well as rudimentary formal instruction, the training I received during my time at Think Tank is the primary reason I am in the 3D animation field today.

Your Typical Year…
The program is 1 year long broken up into three terms. The first term is very broad in subject matter. The idea is to give students a taste of every discipline to see where their strengths lie. With each successive term the curriculum becomes more tailored around that student’s focus. Eventually the student chooses a specific path (i.e. Modeler, Animator, Compositor, etc) and from then on you spend almost all of your time on your focus path.

I had high expectations for this school before I started as I had been burned by promises of “industry level training” before from another school. But I can honestly say that Think Tank lived up to its end of the bargain.

Not to say that it doesn’t take hard work, if you want to succeed in games or VFX a strong work ethic is an absolute must. This is no place for someone who thinks they can just show up and the school will make all their dreams come true. But what Think Tank will be is a strong guiding hand to help shape you into a true professional if you have ambition and a willingness to put in the hours.

The number one priority is to get you into the industry, and 20 minute epic short films aren’t usually the best way to go about it.

As for the pluses of this school (of which there are many) I would say class size is a huge one. My graduating class was me along with seven others. With only eight people in my class you can be sure we never felt like a number. Your instructors aren’t off in an office somewhere, they are in the room working with you directly. There is always help at hand even after class. And you never need to fight for computer time as you have a machine assigned to you that is yours alone. Every teacher we had was currently working in games, television, or film.

Another great plus is that the school is always open to student input. It’s your education and nothing is completely written in stone. But they will use their wisdom and infinite experience in the field to steer you away from a bad idea or two. We all want to make our opus, but your instructors will be very frank with you about time constraints and how feasible your ideas are. The number one priority is to get you into the industry, and 20 minute epic short films aren’t usually the best way to go about it.

In your final term you are assigned a direct mentor – a working professional whose job is to help you get your work where it needs to be and produce an employable demo reel or portfolio, so that when you leave Think Tank, you have not only the tools to succeed in this competitive field, but the means to get a job as well.

Honestly, I felt that the worst part of the program was that it was only a year. Which was more than enough to get me a job, but I sometimes wonder how good I could have become if it were a TWO year program. In actuality though I chose this school in-part because it was a one year program. I had been through a traditional art program already and didn’t want to waste my time on the very basics. But what’s great about Think Tank is that it can accommodate people of any skill in 3D from beginner to advanced.

If you are ahead of the curve they make sure you don’t feel like you’re being held back by other students. The education is highly individual. I had a fellow animator who came into our year with almost no 3D experience. But what he had was true dedication. I’m happy to say that thanks to Think Tank’s guidance and his hard work he is now a feature film animator.

The Verdict
I give this school my absolute highest recommendation. It is a wonderful alternative to some other expensive schools of lower immersion. For the money you aren’t likely to find another school that can compare. I feel very fortunate to have had the chance to study there. It is absolutely a cut above. The bottom line, if you are willing to put in the work—and it IS hard work—you will never regret your decision to attend Think Tank Training Centre.

If you are willing to put in the work—and it IS hard work—you will never regret your decision to attend Think Tank Training Centre.

You can see some of my work from Think Tank here (animations):
http://www.nathanjseitz.com/nSeitz_reel_08.mov
http://www.nathanjseitz.com

NOTE: This site hasn’t been updated in a long time (working for the last 2+ years) so this pretty much represents where I was – animation wise – a little after leaving Think Tank.

http://www.artschoolreviews.ca/reviews/think-tank-training-centre/3d-modeling-animation/the-real-deal